Monday, June 28, 2010
~Cooking with tea: Thai Coconut Soup~
This is our first cooking with tea post!
We will be featuring many culinary delights from soups, sauces and tempting desserts!
This recipe was adapted from the cook book "Feeding The Whole Family" by Cynthia Lair.
A traditional Thai soup that uses Coconut milk and Our Lovin' Lemon Tea.
Thai Coconut Soup:
* 2-Tbs. Olive Oil
* 1-Onion finely diced or thinly sliced into half-moons
* 1-tsp. sea salt
* 2-Tbs. Fresh grated ginger
* 2-3 Cloves of garlic, minced
* 1-tsp. ground coriander
* 1-tsp. ground cumin
* 1/3 Cup dry Lovin' Lemon Tea (the dry tea will be added to 3 cups water) You may use 1 cup dry tea for a more enhanced flavor
* 1/2 Pound of cooked organic chicken or organic tofu
* 3 Cups water (this will be infused with our Lovin' Lemon Tea)
* 1 Can of (14 oz. Coconut Milk)
* 3-4 Tbs. of Tamari or Shoyu Sauce
* 1- large bok choy: sliced thin
* 2- Large Carrots sliced in rounds
* 2- Medium potatoes
* 1/2 Cup peas
* 1/4 Cup fresh Cilantro
Step 1: Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Stir in Onion, garlic, salt and saute until onions are translucent. add spices: ginger, cumin, coriander. Cook until fragrant. Turn off from heat.
Step 2: prepare the Lovin' Lemon Tea infusion: use a small pot, add the 3 cups water and 1/3 cup of the Lovin' Lemon Tea put over low heat and simmer for 20 mins. Once the tea is rich in color then take off the stove and strain the herbs out. For a stronger, deeper tea flavor, you can make an infusion of this tea the night before to add to your soup!
Step 3: Cook your chicken or tofu. Add onion and spices stirring until done.
Step 4: Cook or gently steam carrots, potatoes and peas. When tender add into your chicken or tofu pan.
Step 5: Stir in coconut milk, Lovin' Lemon Tea or infusion, simmer until all the flavors are blended. About 10-15 mins. Add bok choy simmer another 5 mins. Garnish soup with the cilantro.
This is a quick and easy soup to enjoy! My kids loved it! they even asked to have more for breakfast
the next day!
Order your Lovin' Lemon tea for your soup now!
Lovin' Lemon Tea
how to make your tea infusion see our tea tips page